Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Project #3 Artist Statement: The Cyclical Nature of Things

Shannon Marshall
March 7, 2012

PROJECT #3- THE CYCLICAL NATURE OF THINGS-
Artist Statement: My Vision for the Visual Narrative

     When I think of the topic “The Cyclical nature of things” I think of how nature ties into the “cycle” of the collective human consciousness.  Being at peace in nature is fundamental in meditation and relaxation, and with the constant buzz of everyday life, we as people are straying farther and farther away from that inner peace and self-awareness.  In my visual narrative piece I would like to “bring this problem to light” and show how the fast-paced life can negatively impact the human consciousness and how it is vital to reconnect with nature.  I have several images, most of them landscape images, of sun beams silhouetting forest scenes, and rippling water casting interesting reflections.  Light and water seem to be apparent throughout all of my photographs so far, and both are reminiscent of “enlightenment” and “self-reflection.”  I believe my narrative will have a Buddhist theme, or “flavor” to them, as Buddha is a well-known symbol of meditation and inner peace.  I would like to merge this symbol (I’ve taken several images of pagodas, and Buddha statues) with the natural landscapes I’ve taken to create a relaxing “alternative” to the fast-paced life of the average human being.



No comments:

Post a Comment